Thursday, April 10, 2008

FRANCE

Eiffel tower

Eiffel and was erected in 1889. The total height of the tower is 324m. The base measures 125x125m . And is made of puddle iron. It has 1665 stairs from the ground to the top, however we took the elevator. I was impressed by the wax characters, Gustave, his daughter Claire as well as their famous guest, the American inventor Thomas Edison which can be found on the top floor. The Eiffel by night was great! Paris, was my first tour in the Europe. My friends Subbu and Pandian accompanied me, which is a sweet memory. My second trip was with my brother and sister-in-law, we spent 2006 new year eve in Paris.


Cupid and Psyche

This sculpture is one of the many other beautiful ones kept at the Louvre musuem in Paris. This was sculpted by Antonio Canova. In Roman mythology,"cupid" is the god of erotic love and beauty, equivalent to the Greek God Eros. This sculpture is a depiction of Cupid reviving Psyche, who was put to sleep forever by inhaling a magic perfume.

No comments: